Friday, February 11, 2011

Game Consoles, part 2

Hi there,

Today we will continue going through my past, by talking about the probably most important console to me: the PS one. For those of you that don't know, this model is the slimmer version of the PSX.
Now bear with me, but my first video game was Disneys Dinosaurs... I know, it was a stupid game, but I was a little kid and it was really exciting. Anyway, I got the game and console on Christmas, I think 1999 or 2000, and I played through the whole game in less then 5 hours. Keep in mind, I was a noob back then. Today, I would probably beat it in 2 hours.
Moving on, there were a handful of shitty games until I got the first big thing: Final Fantasy 8. I don't need to tell you how amazing this game was, and actually still is. But I was out of luck, because the CDs got scratched so fast, that I could not play through the whole game. Also, I got Final Fantasy 7 in between. Now that one was much easier to play, and I made it until the end.
In the next month, I only got better games, like Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve 2,  and of course Final Fantasy 9. For the latter, I still think that this was the best FF so far. Not because of the gameplay, but rather the storyline, the characters and the whole world. It was a master piece. For todays FFs, I don't like them anymore. They lost their charm after Final Fantasy 10,  most likely because Hironobu Sakaguchi and most of the original production team of Final Fantasy left Squaresoft.

Okay, as you have seen I exclusively talked about  games from Squaresoft (today Square Enix). But there were other games, like Breath of Fire 4. It was a 2D RPG in a 3D environment, but it could not compare to the Final Fantasy series. The cutscences and overall graphic could not compete to the others.
Tekken 3 was a great beat'em up. I, my brother and a friend of mine played it for hours and hours. But playing this so extensively, I cannot say that todays Tekken games are better. The games are much faster now and have a little arcade feeling, but the controls are way to stiff for that speed. It just feels like some sort of hybrid between arcade and a reality-like game, and it does not do good on any type of them.
The counter part of Tekken was Battle Arena Toshinden 4. This game was a pickup and play Beat'em Up with weapons. The great thing about it was the fact that you could type in some commands, and it made a combo out of it.
And I could go on with the games, but I cannot remember all of them. Also, I just wanted to name the most important games to me. So stay tuned, because we still have some consoles ahead.

1 comment: